Cyclist: Knee Cap Sideways Movement

Cyclist: Knee Cap Sideways Movement

Postby drk5184 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:58 am

Hello everyone,

I have been cycling for years and I have always had knee problems when I went on long rides. I finally decided to see what was wrong and my PT told me that my knee cap is tracking incorrectly. Both knee caps move toward their respective outside shoulder when I flex my leg. I am curious what weight lifting exercises or band training exercises I can do to even out my leg muscles as I continue cycling.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
drk5184

Re: Cyclist: Knee Cap Sideways Movement

Postby jheiler » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Are you still participating in PT, or finished up and wondering what to do now? Your therapist should give some ideas for the gym or home exercise program.

Check out the 'Solving Anterior Knee Pain' article http://www.physicaltherapist.com/articles/view/id/3 for more ideas.

Joe
http://www.sportsrehabexpert.com
jheiler

Postby drk5184 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:05 am

I'm finished with the PT during which I had two exercises:

1) Strengthening my hips by attaching a band to a post and putting my foot in the loop. The exercise consisted of me moving my foot to the side away from the post.

2) Rolling a towel, placing it between my thighs and squeezing it in a skiiers/ cyclist pose.

I noticed an increase in strength with the hip exercise but neither exercise has made any difference in the tracking of my knee cap and I am curious what I can do now because I'd really like to start riding my bike again. I can't imagine that this sort of muscle imbalance is unusual for cyclists but I cant find any specific information on what exercises would be good to try. The article you referenced (and wrote, thanks very much) contains a lot of information that doesn't necessarily speak to tha layman. Can you recommend a set of exercises that might help a long time weekend cyclist with knee cap tracking issues? I can tell you that I've worked with a podiatrist to get good insoles so my feet should be okay....just need to take care of the knees.
drk5184

Postby bignastyPT » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Greetings,

Sorry to hear about your knee issues.

I'm a physical therapist, but also a Cat III road racer and expert mountain biker. Knee problems can get frustrating as a cyclist. I see many competitive cyclists and triathletes athletes here in CO. I also do professional bike fitting for the regional cycling team our clinic sponsors.

There is most likely not a simple solution to your knee pain. Managing your knee pain will most likely involved some specific land based exercises, a professional bike fit, and quite possible a change in some equiptment you have on your bike. It may not be a bad idea to hire a coach that can give you some specific pointers about developing a good solid, efficient pedal stroke and changes in your training programs. Generally, the most common problems I see with a cyclist is: poor bike fit, poor training programs, weak hamstrings, poor foot motor control, decreased back strength, and not enough cross training.
bignastyPT

Postby miznatch27 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:14 am

bignastyPT

I am a PT student and am looking for a clinical internship experience that specializes in cycling. Do you do anything like that? If you do would be interested in being a clinical instructor for me?

Thanks,

Miznatch27
miznatch27

Return to Sports Physical Therapy