Good scores on practice exams?

General discussion on Physical Therapy Assistants / Aides

Good scores on practice exams?

Postby lanceo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:47 pm

I have looked all over the internet, and have been unable to find any site that addresses what a passing score for a practice test would be. I am currently studying for my NPTAE, and would appreciate some help. If some of you would post your scores and what exams they are from I think this would be a good informational article for future studiers. Others may be better able to gauge their study progress as it pertains to passing the NPTAE. Please also state whether you have passed the NPTAE, and if you had any difficulty. I have taken three practice tests. The first two are from the Scott Giles book (current edition) and I scored a 101, and 102 out of 150. The other test is from the TherapyEd book and I scored a 97 out of 150 on it. Thanks to everyone who is able to help!
lanceo

Re: Good scores on practice exams?

Postby lanceo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 pm

:D Obviously there are quite a few people interested in this topic, at the time of my reply almost 75 people have looked at it. Let’s all chip in and share are practice test scores. I’m not asking for questions, just scores. Even if it has been quite some time since you have taken a test try to give an estimate. This could be really helpful for those of us who have not taken out boards yet. I’m sure that once one or two replies are posted then others will be tempted to post as well. Come on, who is going to be the first to help out?
lanceo

Postby Emmerz01 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:10 pm

I can help, but I need to look at my paperwork. I want to say off the top of my head you need a 650 to pass. I'm not sure if it's done differently for each state, but I will double check when I can look at the paperwork. :)
Emmerz01

Postby bignastyPT » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:11 pm

If I remember correctly, there is not set passing grade. Alot depends on how well other students do during a set block of testing. So, in a six week period, they take all the scores, and come up with a number that is the cut off for passing for that period of time. Thus, the passing grade may be lower or higher depending how everyone else does. If you're in the top 50%, I wouldn't worry it. Focus more on what you don't know yet rather on what the passing score is. Good Luck!
bignastyPT

Postby lanceo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:54 am

I appreciate all the advice that everyone has posted. All of the study ideas are really informative. Focusing on the last post really brings this discussion topic back to its main focus. Realizing that the board test uses the average passing scores of all applicants to come up with the actual passing score is the reason that I posted this topic. A score of 600 or 650 means nothing to someone who has never taken the test before. What I would like to do is show a correlation between the study guide practice tests, and the actual passing of the board test. If enough people will submit their scores and whether or not they passed the boards, I believe that it would be possible to show what average score on a practice test an applicant should shoot for in order to hope to attain a passing score on the board test. I'll continue to keep you updated with mine.
Here they are in the order that I took them. These are out of 150 questions.

Scott Giles-- 101 Computer test 1
-- 102 Computer test 2
Therapy Ed-- 97 Computer test 1
Scott Giles-- 110 Written test

Thanks again to everyone's help and keep the replies coming!
lanceo

Postby lanceo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 pm

Well, it’s all over! I just received my results today, and I passed. I actually thought that I was very well prepared for the exam. There were some exam questions that were very closely related to the practice tests. Many of the questions on the practice tests were much more difficult than the ones on the board exam, especially the ones from TherapyEd. Two months of studying and I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. Here is my final scoring in order of tests taken

Scott Giles Computer Test 1---101
Computer Test 2---102
TherapyEd Computer Test 1---- 97
Scott Giles Written Test--------110
Computer Test 3---107

I hope this helps some of you that are still studying. Let me know if there are any questions, or if I may be able to help anyone. Thanks again to all who took the time to reply! :mrgreen:
lanceo

Postby katm » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:55 am

Congra to passing your exam!
I am just trying to get some studying materials to pass mine. Wonder if u can offer some used books you used to prepare for your exam?
IF yes, contact me please on katmecarova@gmail.com

thanks bro
katm

Postby lanceo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:05 pm

I know it has been quite some time since I posted, and I just realized that I never submitted my score. I scored a 736 on my state board exam. I believe that if someone is scoring in the same general area on the practice tests that this will correlate to a board exam score in the same range as mine. I hope all who read this will contribute so that it may benefit others.

Good luck, and God Bless
Lance
lanceo

Postby J Mont » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:46 pm

My Scores from the Gile's 07 version: Comp test 2 = 95/150, Comp test 4 = 98/150.
J Mont

Postby Paola » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 am

To lanceo: How soon after taking your final practice exam did you take the NPTAE? Just wondering if you spent a lot more time studying after the practice exams, or if you felt ready right after taking that last practice test that you posted.
Thanks.
Paola

Postby lanceo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Paola,

It has been some time since I took this test, but I believe that I took it within a few days after taking my final practice exam. I did feel ready after taking the practice exams. I think that I stayed on the same time table that I had initially set for myself. After each test, I would reassess my areas with the greatest deficiencies. I would then study these areas, and then take another test. I did this again after my final practice test, and did one more quick overview. I then took the NPTAE. I hope this helps.
I believe that if you did well in school, and put a fair amount of time into preparation for the test, you will do fine. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Good luck.
lanceo

Postby Paola » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Thank you for your response! Your previous posts, although a few years old, are definitely a nice help to gage, since I'm using a Scott Giles study guide as well. Was debating whether to also purchase the FSBPT's practice exam, but perhaps what I have is enough then.
Paola

Postby Paola » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, here's my contribution for those studying for boards:

Scorebuilders 2010 Study Guide by Scott Giles
Practice Exam Scores:
Exam 1) 100
Exam 2) 97
Exam 3) 101

and PASSED the NPTAE on 1st attempt! Yeehah!
Don't be surprised to see a bunch of "HUH??? We never even studied that in PTA school or in the study guide" type questions.
Paola

Postby chitrag76 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:59 pm

hi, I am a Pta and need guidance on how to study for license exams and how many hrs a day

pls let me know I am studying from scott giles pta review guide is that alone enough

PlAN TO GIVE EXAm in may this yr...Pls guide me as I am not sute how i should prepare for such a big exam

thansk
chitra
chitrag76

Postby Kgrimespta » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 am

Hello Paola, I just noticed your email. Congrats on your test. I am now studying for my test. This is my 3rd time taking it. did you take a course or did you study from anything besides scorebuilders? I study day and night and still can't ace my practice exams and when I took my test I noticed a lot of OMG, I never seen that before, so would you recommend the IER book? by Physical Ed or anything else for that matter?
Thank you for your help. I take it next month and can't afford to fail it again.
Kgrimespta

Next

Return to PTA Talk