Tingling Legs?

Tingling Legs?

Postby Armobro1918 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:02 pm

Hello everyone...

5 days ago I noticed that I was feeling tingling sensations in both of my legs. It started when I was sitting down at my computer. This tingling sensation only happens when I am sitting down on my rear end. When I am standing or walking around, I do not feel the tingling in my legs. I do have moderate to severe allergies right now, maybe that could be the reason why I am having these tingling sensations? Lately, I have also been overusing my body. (Much more walking, lifting, and general physical activity than normal...) I also have a lot of anxiety, which may be the cause of my tingling... What do you think? I am only 17 years old, no health problems, haven't had anything like this before, but I have noticed a huge increase in anxiety, worrying too much, and an increase in physical movement/activity. Why are my legs tingling?

(Taking hot showers help stop the tingling)
(My parents both have Restless Legs Syndrome, just thought I should let you all know)

No pain is associated with the tingling...

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to help me, I would really appreciate it.
Armobro1918

Postby TorontoMD » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:40 pm

Sensory symptomes are the least reliable in neurology . But we still try not to mis any organic cause.
definately , heavy excercise especially if not gradual over time could compress nerves and also not to forget anxiety has a lont of manifestations.
About the restless leg syndrome it could present as your case but it needs three more criterias (type of symptoms) to be called RLS.

To start you have to tell me more
1- the anxiety why and whot for or from u r anxious?
2- the exact disribution in the feet and apart from setting is there any thing else could bring it on.
3- Do you have anemia, or any prolonged loss of blood?

Bob
TorontoMD

Postby Armobro1918 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Well I recently had a CBC done just about 2 months ago, and all the results came back completely fine.

I HAVE LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT OVER THE SUMMER! This was no surprise to me though, as I have been overrall much more active than usual recently. Another possibility is that maybe I haven't lost weight, but I have gotten much taller which may be making my stomach look smaller becuase I have noticed a rapid change in my height in the last 3 months or so. Everyone comments me saying that I've either gotten so much taller, or lost a lot of weight!

My anxiety has all been due to my allergy symptoms I have been experiencing recently, AND this tingling that has started has elevated my anxiety much higher... (I tend to get wayyyy too worried when there is something wrong with me... - ear popping/fullness - congested nose) I have never experienced this much anxiety in my life before.

I do have flat feet, I forgot to mention that before... The only time my legs start tingling is when I sit down. Sometimes standing in the same position for a long time can also trigger the leg tingling. The leg tingling seems to get a little bit more worse at night. To relieve the tingling sensations in my legs, I move them around. But right when I stop moving my legs around, the tingling already starts to come back. I can also feel slight tingling when I am laying down, but not as much as when I am sitting.

Very rarely, but this happens sometimes as well, one of my pinky's will start to tingle slightly, but this tingling goes away right after I move it around a bit. This tingling is not a constant one. It happens once every 2 days or so. I have heard that RLS can also affect the arms as well, so there still might be a chance of my tingling sensations being all from RLS, correct?

I really appreciate your help for helping me, THANK YOU!!!!
Armobro1918

Postby TorontoMD » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:54 pm

The first clinical description of restless legs is attributed to Thomas Willis. He described the syndrome in 1672, and in the 1685 edition of his textbook wrote, "Wherefore to some, when being a Bed they betake themselves to sleep, presently in the==> Arms and Leggs, Leapings and Contractions of the Tendons, and so great a Restlessness and Tossings of their Members ensue that the diseased are no more able to sleep than if they were in a Place of the greatest Torture"
But we know now its unlikely or very rarely affect the arms as well as its rare in a young (very young) man like you

The last thing I suggest you have prpoer shoes for flat feet. For the anxiety I suggest you see a psychologist or a psychiarest in your area (I could help suggesting some) if its getting out of control

Bob
TorontoMD

Postby Armobro1918 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:17 pm

So basically, I shouldn't be worrying too much about my tingling legs and pinkies... should I?

So it could be from my anxiety, it could be from me getting taller/losing weight, the allergies I currently have, or it could be because of my flat feet... correct?

I really appreciate your help Bob, you have made my day!
Armobro1918

Postby Armobro1918 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:44 pm

I have observed something new...

The more I walk, when I sit down, the more my legs tingle...
Armobro1918

Re: Tingling Legs?

Postby denismorrisons » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 am

It is a condition you may want to consider called paresthesia, which is classified as a tingling or numbness in the extremities. Sometimes this condition can develop because of drugs, other times it can be an indicator of a more serious problem. Have this feeling for 3 days is very important and should be discussed with your doctor.
denismorrisons

Return to Neurology