Indian BPT degree - Credential Evaluation - Help me out

General discussion on how to obtain a license to work in the United States.

Re: Indian BPT degree - Credential Evaluation - Help me out

Postby eijisawakita_sannoh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:05 am

I am a foreign trained PT. I believe the process for all foreign trained PT applicant in the US are the same in all countries, whether you're from India, Vietnam, Philippines, China or Australia. This is the steps I took to be licensed here in the US.

1. I took the TOEFL iBT exam (to register go to https://toefl-registration.ets.org/TOEFLWeb/extISERLogonPrompt.do then click sign up) . After getting the required score (which is a minimum of 21 on Reading, Listening, and Writing, and 26 on speaking according to USCIS),

2. I applied for a credential evaluation by FCCPT http://www.fccpt.org/. I took Type 1 Credentialing. You can review each type of credentialing to fit your need. The credentialing process took 4 months to complete so I used that time to apply for AIN (you'll need this if you don't have a valid US Social Security Number). Just go here http://www.fsbpt.org/download/AINApp_20090105.pdf, fill up the form and send it to the address mentioned in there. Also, you can use this time to review for the NPTE exam. After I received my credential report from FCCPT and my Visa Screen Certificate,

3. I emailed the State to which I forwarded my FCCPT report (you can find the contact number and/or email address of the State Board of PT in State you applied here: http://www.fsbpt.org/LicensingAuthorities/index.asp)and asked what other requirements they need for me to be elligible to sit-in for the licensure exam. After completing those, they emailed me that I'm eligible to take the exam and told me to register for an examination at FSBPT, https://pt.fsbpt.net/ExamRegistration/. After I registered, I printed my ATT letter and went to prometric website http://www.prometric.com/FSBPT/default.htm and scheduled my exam. I don't think they offer NPTE exams outside US for security reasons. After that, I went here and took the exam. If you don't have a visa to go here, you have to find an employer that can sponsor you to take the exam. You will not have difficulty finding an employer once you have a Visa Screen Certificate. After passing the exam,

4. The State Board of PT that I applied to emailed me, saying I have conditional approval and all I need to submit was my valid SSN number then they will issue me a license number.

5. I sought an employer that is willing to sponsor me a working visa, because I only have a tourist visa, which I used to take the exam. When I was given a working visa, I went here and applied for a valid social security number. After getting my valid US social security number,

6. I submitted it to the state board that I applied to and they gave me a license number. Now this is where benjamins start rolling in if you know what I'm saying lol.....

This applies to foreign PTs that have no immigrant visa and willing to be licensed here in the US. For those of you that has an immigrant visa, I think you only need credential evaluation and NPTE exam. You don't need to take the TOEFL exam because TOEFL exam are used for Visa Screen Certificate, which is used for getting a working permit. I am not 100% sure on this but you can always ask the state your willing to apply for on how to obtain a license.

Hope this helps and good luck to all us PTs.
eijisawakita_sannoh

Postby eijisawakita_sannoh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 am

Edit:I think they don't need TOEFL exam if you are from Australia or other English speaking countries...
eijisawakita_sannoh

Postby PMak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 pm

THANK YOU eijisawakita_sannoh for the very detailed instructions...I have a couple of questions regarding the FCCPT process. My wife is a BPT from India and here on greencard so she is applying for just credential evaluation...however...

1) What is the "Certificate of License" form? which licensing authority do I have to send it to?? Do I have to send it somewhere in India?? is it ABSOLUTELY required for the FCCPT process?? and if I do have to send it to somewhere, where would it be and what's the process involved in it??

2) I read somewhere about IAP....is that the license authority?? if this the one that is absolutely required, then will she be able to become a member from USA because she is already here in USA???

3) She will be applying for both NY and NJ. What's your experience on how she will be evaluated?? how many credits will be required for both states?? any advice on the easiest route to go about getting the license??

4) how long did the whole FCCPT and the licensing process take for you??

Please reply to the above questions as soon as possible so that I can go ahead and start the application process. Thank you very much in advance.
PMak

Postby shivoma » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:49 pm

hey aakansha..
i see that u too got ur papers ready for the state of ohio...i have applied for the same...just recently....my credential evaluaion report shows a lag of around 40 credits...can u give me an idea as to how u cleared these credits and how long u took...?? did u do them thru CLEP as well...!!and lab work tru community college..??
thanks...!!
shivoma

Postby ritikabansal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:08 am

Hi everyone if you are looking for a job in USA pl. forward your resumes to medicalutsourcing@consultant.com
ritikabansal

your final chance to get into USA without General Education

Postby sudharsan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:48 pm

shivoma wrote:hey aakansha..
i see that u too got ur papers ready for the state of ohio...i have applied for the same...just recently....my credential evaluaion report shows a lag of around 40 credits...can u give me an idea as to how u cleared these credits and how long u took...?? did u do them thru CLEP as well...!!and lab work tru community college..??
thanks...!!

Dear one

Please go to 'Michigan Board of Physical therapy " down load the application packet &
fill up the Michigan Application form
Enclose the required attachments
Enclose the Bankers cheque(don't staple/pinup or cross )as loose paper
Take a xerox/scan copy of your 'filled up' application
Take a xerox/scan copy of your Bankers cheque
Put all these in a 'full scape' size plastic folder
Take it to the ' FEDEX' international couriers(you have no choice.send ONLY through this couriers)
They will put it into their own cover
See that , they send it to Michigan the same day
TODAY..!!
Do this.. today..Your application should reach Michigan well before...30th Aug 2009..
FEDEX.. TODAY..!!
finger print form can be sent later
credential evaluation can be done , after this

This is the BEST advice , you can get.

ACT IMMEDIATELY....TODAY ITSELF..
SEND THE APPLICATION THROUGH FEDEX

NOT DOING TODAY,MEANS YOU ARE
CLOSING YOUR U S A OPTIONS
FOR A LONG TIME TO COME..!!
sudharsan

Postby yashd » Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi i am a Graduate in Kinesiology from Canada. I was thinking of doing Masters In PT in india. Is it possible? or will i have to do Bachelors in PT first? Will my Kinesiology degree in Canada be equivalent to PT bachelors in india?
yashd

Previous

Return to Non-US Trained Physical Therapist