PT School Acceptance Statistics

All student related issues and questions.

PT School Acceptance Statistics

Postby lej8k » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:44 pm

Do you know any admissions statistics for PT schools in general? I've been looking around for some, but can't find any. I know that it must vary greatly from school to school, but there must be a general ballpark figure. I'm just becoming distraught because it seems that this may be an unrealistic career goal.
lej8k

Postby Regan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:00 pm

I don't know of a ballpark figure for you. Does anybody else?

How about calling sample PT schools and ask them for their admission acceptance rate? This should give you an idea.
Regan
Resident PT Moderator

Postby jma » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:43 pm

Hello,
I am not really sure but I do believe that the US News & Report Magazine puts out some figures on PT schools, as well as other programs. They might have some statistics. I do agree with Regan, that it may be more helpful to ask the schools directly.

JMA
jma

Response: Confidential

Postby tibbs » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:31 pm

I was also curious about learning more (or should I say, anything) about acceptance rates and had trouble gathering any numbers as well. I did contact a school (my first choice) directly via e-mail and got the response (1 month after asking):

"Rejection rate data is confidential and I cannot disclose it to you."

Why is this? Since there's virtually no info on the internet, I'm almost inclined to think that this information is not available for any PT schools. This seems inconsistent with other graduate programs (e.g., law, business, medical), where they openly publish their acceptance rates.

I'm not even interested in getting into the most prestigious program. I'd just like to know if my pursuit is realistic in case I need to plan for an alternate career.

Has anybody else asked other schools directly?
tibbs

Hope this helps

Postby Frosty31 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:29 am

I know how you feel guys. I finally said screw it and went on a college visit to a local school and was able to sit down with a admittance councilor who walked me through their process. Here is some of what I found. They expect a 3.0 cumulative GPA, a BA in any field, minimum of 20 observation hours with a PT, two letters of recommendation (one from an instructor, and one from a PT), a personal statement, and they have a long list of required classes. This school required a lot of Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, and Physics (all through the science dept which means they have labs and that your exercise physiology classes wont count like mine). Do yourself a favor and look into this early. I have 30 hours of prerecs to finish after I get my BA to be eligible. Hope this helps
Don't know about you guys but Im not a young one anymore. I'll be almost 28 when I get out if all goes to plan.
Frosty31

Return to Student Issues