What is the difference between per diem and pool?

General discussion on Physical Therapists

What is the difference between per diem and pool?

Postby SophieMixer » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:10 pm

I was wondering if anyone could possibly explain to me what per diem and pool mean. I'm supposed to be interviewing for a weekend per diem position at a subacute hospital. Does this mean a guaranteed Saturday and Sunday or just whenever they need me? Please explain. Thanks in advance!
SophieMixer

Postby Regan » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:52 pm

A physical therapist may be put into a "pool" of employees that are availlable on a Per Diem basis. Basically, you are telling the employer that you can work on "as needed" basis by the employer. Many hospitals like to fill work schedules with the per diem employees because it helps them cut down on overhead expenses. If you are available every weekend and express interest in working those days, the employer more than likely will call you up on a regular basis to fill in.
Regan
Resident PT Moderator

Postby SophieMixer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:49 am

Thank you very much. That was very helpful. :)
SophieMixer

Postby SophieMixer » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:00 pm

I have another question. I am a recent graduate currently working as a full time PT at another location with full benefits. Should I expect the pay for a Per Diem position to be higher than the pay for my full time PT position since I will not be getting benefits, or should I expect the pay to be just about equal on an hourly basis?
SophieMixer

Postby Regan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:08 am

The hourly rate for a per diem professional is usually higher than your salaried position as a PT.
Regan
Resident PT Moderator

Return to PT Talk