Physical Therapy and Psychology

General discussion on Physical Therapists

Physical Therapy and Psychology

Postby epimetheus » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:34 pm

I am just starting my school years with the goal of getting my Masters or above in Physical Therapy. First semester and it has been since 1995 that I have been in school. (high school) This semester I am choosing to write a paper on Psychology in my field of interest.

I can see where Psychology has it's play in any field, and especially in the field of Physical Therapy. I can think of several ways in which psychology is important- patient interaction, putting the paitent at ease, communication, education as well as rehabilitation, etc. However, I balk at finding sources to cite to back up my claims in the paper. (something that makes no sense, but the teacher requires it) It has been so long since I have been in school or researched anything I have no idea where to look for cites on these things.

Does anybody know of any possible sources of good information that wont take months to slough through- sources that may have something to do with psychology in the field of physical therapy- whether it be patient interaction types of psychology or any other types that may be important. I have done google searches- but have minimal luck on that...

I'm not asking for help on my assignment, fishing for ideas, or anything like that. I fully intend to do my own homework, write my own paper, and suffer the humiliation of all my piss poor grammar mixed in with my lack of structure and such. I would be interested in suggestions on places to look, internet wise, or perhaps even some books I can peruse in my local library and use as source material.

I know, I probably should have taken a class on basic research and writing skills (if they have one), since it HAS been quite some time since I have wrote a paper.

I also have a very basic Idea of what physical therapists do- so I will be reading up on that as well. My list of how psychology is related to the field of physical therapy is probably watery and shallow..but ya gotta start somewhere...
epimetheus

Postby epimetheus » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:36 pm

Oh, if I should have put this in Student Issues I appologize to the moderators. :oops:
epimetheus

Psychosocial Issues in PT

Postby MarthaPT » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:11 pm

Try searching under psychosocial issues--you may have more luck with this phrase. You may also want to contact any PT departments at your local university--they likely have a course for their students in this area and may have some resources to suggest. I know I have a book at home on this topic but don't remember the exact title or author now.

I work in acute care in Neuroscience and Trauma--we have a lot of psychology issues to deal with, esp. depression following a stroke, spinal cord injury, etc. which can drastically change a person's life, not to mention the lives of those around them. We also see many people with chronic pain syndromes (fibromyalgia, MS, ALS, back problems to name a few) and there are often psych issues there re: disability mindset and so forth. Often there are anxiety issues with feeling the stress of returning to responsibility after a long recovery also.

Feel free to email me if you feel I could help any further. :D
MarthaPT

Return to PT Talk