Strange pain in Hip/Quad of left leg

Strange pain in Hip/Quad of left leg

Postby kymmerz » Fri May 22, 2009 11:24 am

I'm a runner and have been running great until about 4-5 weeks ago. I was training for a race and did a 9 mile long run feeling good. Later that night I went to put my left leg over my right and had terrible pains trying to just lift it up. That was the begining. I rested the next day and ran the next 2 weeks while taking Ibprophen thinking it was just inflamed. It just got worse and worse. I did a Race (bloomsday so there are a few hills and one kind of nasty hill) and since then it's amplified. I couldn't walk normal the day after the race. So I rested a week and ran a 4 mile run (didn't feel like I ran correctly and I'll go more into that) and the next day was hurting pretty bad and couldn't jog at all it had sharp pains.

Ok, now it's been 2 weeks of rest and I tried to run this morning after a warmup and stretching the best I know how and it's not really a pain but I don't run, it's more of a limp/gimp. WHen my left foot hits the ground it can send a shot of minor pain down the quad and it kind of feel like it branches out. It doesn't really hurt and I could deal with that feeling but I just don't seem to run with any form. I can't lift my left leg up high like my right and when I focus on trying to do it, it's just odd. Very upsetting and I don't know what is hurt or what to do about it. Please help.. Any advice is good advice for me. I don't know if I need a deep tissue massage to work something outta there or what's going on. My left hip doesn't seem to want to pop either, it's tighter than the right I guess??? HELP.
kymmerz

Re: Strange pain in Hip/Quad of left leg

Postby JAM777 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:25 am

First and foremost, go to your nearest physical therapy clinic and get treatment. There could be a few things going on. Without being able to physically examine/evaluate you, I'm simply speculating. It could be something as simple as tendonitis of the left hip flexors, a muscle strain of the left hip flexors, or you may have developed arthritis in the hip joint and/or a bone spur that continues to irritate the soft tissue around it. It may also be due to a rotated pelvis and/or a leg length discrepancy. Do you have any low back pain? Have you tried ice, heat? I recommend resting it and stretching all around both hip joints to increase and maintain flexibility bilaterally, treating it with ice until your inflammation is under control, then use heat to keep it flexible and draw blood to the area to heal. Continue to stretch the area and give it gentle range of motion. Do not strain it in any way. It looks like you love to run. You should give it a break for a while until your pain is pretty much gone. If your pain continues to remain at a high level, I would recommend at the very least an x-ray. Of course the next step after that would be an MRI. Hope that helps.
JAM777

Postby MinnDasota » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:08 pm

I agree with the above poster.

I think you should think about seeing a PT or your ortho to rule out possible back issues (possible L2-3 injury).

If it is a hip flexor/quad issue and not a back issue, then try focusing on glut/buttocks strengthening. Maybe add a posterior pelvic tilt (flatten back). This can naturally relax/inhibit the hip flexor/quad (via reciprocol inhibition) and may decrease your symptoms.
MinnDasota

Postby Healing » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:44 pm

In this life many possibilities exist, like a computer there are at
least 3 right ways of doing things...I have suffered extremely
for the past 6 months and was on the verge of complete disability...
By all means go to all the Dr.'s to make sure what you don't have...
Next while you are sitting on your kester wishing you could walk,
run, cycle, kayak, hike, ski, snowshoe, XC ski, ping pong, dance:
Google ~ Dontigny Home Exercise Program pdf...print it, try it
This could make a big difference and you don't have to much to lose.
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink...
It took me 8 months and many Dr.s visits to learn what I don't
have...Dontigny could be the answer, I can see the light.
I want to dance...Thats all I am going to say, for now anyway...
Healing

Return to Sports Physical Therapy