Weight Training Exercises after Shoulder Surgery

Weight Training Exercises after Shoulder Surgery

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:13 pm

Hey all, several years ago, I was very active in competetive body building, and doing very well. One day while bench pressing too heavy I tore my fron left deltoid completely in half. Well, unfortunately I waited a couple of years to get it repaired since I had just started a new job and was afraid of not being able to keep it if I took time off. I have since had it repaired, but during that time it has atrophied a considerable amount. Even after a few years of off and on lifting, it still looks as if there is little or no muscle there. There are several exercises that I can barely do anymore, and am forced to do machines. I'm curious if there are any exercises that I can do that will build this muscle up again to close, or near it's original size. My left pectoralis is bigger, I guess because it might actually do more of the work when I do certian movements. I've been doing more exercises to try and isolate the fron delt, such as lateral dumbell raises in front of me with very light weights, but seem to be making very little progress. Any suggestions would begreatly appreciated.
Rich

Postby radkins » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:58 pm

I would focus on RC and scapular strengthening first to enhance shoulder girdle stability (use light dumbells for SL ER, prone H.Abd, scaption in ER, shrugs, prone scapular strngthening on ball). I wouldn't worry about pec training for a while. Remember proximal stability before distal mobility. Then, if you are still planning on competing, resume all your body building exercises. Unfortunately, if your tear was significant enough to require surgical repair an asthetic defect may be permanent.
radkins

deltoid tear

Postby ryan mahar » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:18 am

i definetly agree with the first response in that there very well could be some permanent damage to the muscle and more likely the nerve tissue that supplies the muscle. However, i would consider visiting a liscensed PT to discuss this in person. Ask about Russian stimulation to target the deltoid muslce. It can be very difficul to isolate a muscle in the shoulder that is surrounded by so many other muscles without some skilled assistance. Russian stim may help you learn how to isolate the muscle and "wake it up" so to speak. good luck.
ryan mahar

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:16 am

Thanks guys..I'll definately try to get in to see a local PT.
Rich

Re: Weight Training Exercises after Shoulder Surgery

Postby kevinjones1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:38 am

Shoulder injuries can be caused by sports activities that involve excessive overhead motion like swimming, tennis, pitching and weightlifting. The pain was excruciating. After a few manly bellows of anguish the agony subsided to a mere torture level. Reason returned and I realized that I must have seriously torn a muscle. I expressed my opinion of this using several words I hadn't uttered since having to clean out latrines in the military. I make no apology for this.
kevinjones1

Postby richtera » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:27 am

What weight lifting/exercise routine should I follow as a beginner? I am 6' and 200lbs. I am joining a gym and want to know what's best for exercise and weight lifting for just normal toning up and maybe some belly loss. The gym has treadmills, elipticals, etc and weight area that I know nothing about...Any help in both or either is appreciated! Including how often a week to do it and any rotations. I've never worked out before, but am generally not weak.
Last edited by richtera on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
richtera

Postby katadromeas » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:31 pm

richtera wrote:What weight lifting/exercise routine should I follow as a beginner? I am 6' and 200lbs. I am joining a gym and want to know what's best for exercise and weight lifting for just normal toning up and maybe some belly loss. The gym has treadmills, elipticals, etc and weight area that I know nothing about...Any help in both or either is appreciated! Including how often a week to do it and any rotations. I've never worked out before, but am generally not weak.

I believe this question has nothing to do with the specific topic. To answer your question, somebody needs to evaluate you first in order to prescribe appropriate exercises. If you are not dealing with an injury then you can talk to a qualified/certified trainer at the gym, otherwise find a PT. If you are not dealing with an injury but you are concerned about your general health and not just burning calories then also talk to a PT. A PT can evaluate your functional strength, range of motion, muscle length and postural asymmetries, anthropometric characteristics, cardiopulmonary status and so on, and will help you set short term and long term goals. You might have to pay out of pocket if you don't have an injury as insurances usually do not reimburse for 'wellness'.
katadromeas

Return to Sports Physical Therapy