Commonly used PT goals for Home Health

Professional Issues Forum

Commonly used PT goals for Home Health

Postby mtaylor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:43 pm

I am a PTA and Director of Patient Care for a new Home Health Agency. I have several years experience in skilled nursing facilites, but only PRN experience in Home Health. The PTs that we have contracted to do our evals have worked in the outpatient setting for years.
Could anyone help us out and give me some examples of some commonly used goals for home health. I know we have to focus a lot on safety and mobility within the home. But my PTs are writing goals for
~Ambulation 300 feet with AD, independently and no gait deficits.
Well when someone is truely homebound, that could be a difficult goal to reach is they can't exit the home.
I would really appreciate any advice and/or examples
mtaylor

Re: Commonly used PT goals for Home Health

Postby mtcpt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:52 pm

I believe that goals relating to the HHA would be goals such as
- Pt to be independent with ADL's within 2 weeks
- Pt to transfer independently from supine to sit for 5 repetitions
- Pt to be independent with HEP within 2 weeks

The goal of a PT within the home is to make sure that the patient will be safe for in-home ambulation and will not have trouble maintaining their home. I have written goals for vacumming, safe ambulation, step negotiation (since this is one of things that will make a pt home bound). How far will the person have to walk to get to their car? How does their knee have to bend to fit in the car? These are all things that should be addressed so that the person can actually leave the house some day.

Hope this helps!
mtcpt

Re: Commonly used PT goals for Home Health

Postby Daybreakventure » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Home health agency (HHA) services are covered subject to the requirements specified in the following two general situations:
1. During the convalescent phase of posthospital or institutional discharge or during the convalescent phase following an acute episode or exacerbation of an illness of a homebound patient.
2. When the homebound patient can be maintained at home. Unlike Medicare. Medi-Cal does not require that the patient receive any particular therapeutic service as a prerequisite for any other therapeutic service.
Thanks for post.
Daybreakventure

Return to Professional Issues