PTA scope of practice?

Professional Issues Forum

PTA scope of practice?

Postby shanpta » Thu May 29, 2003 8:39 pm

Hi, I'm a PTA currently working in a nursing home/rehab facility. My PT is not based at my particular building but comes over for evals and is always available for consult over the phone. Here is my question....after an eval., the patients need to be re-evaled every month (as per guidelines). The PT is asking me to do the re-eval, which consist of filling out a new eval form for updating ( a 701 form). She said she will then come over and sign it (but I am not to sign it). This is making me a little uncomfortable because I feel it is not in my scope of practice to be doing re evals. My PT is the manager of another building and her PTA and COTA both do this for her. Please let me know if I am being silly, or there is a basis to what I am feeling. Thank you in advance.
shanpta

Postby Regan » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:28 pm

shanpta,

You have a reason to feel uncomfortable. Review your state practice act and talk to your supervising PT about your concern.

-Regan Wong, MS, PT, CSCS
Strive! Physical Therapy Centers
http://www.striverehab.com
Regan
Resident PT Moderator

PTA scope of practice

Postby tlwilliams » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:10 pm

I also suggest to read your state practice act. You can fill out the subjective part-PHI. The re-eval should be done by a therapist. They are supposed to re-eval every 30 days. As PTAs we are not allowed to evaluate or make decisions based on collected data. If the PT is signing the form, what about the physician? The physician has to sign the plan of care every 30 days as well. Is the PT sending new orders and modifying the goals? At times there is only a therapist in our building for a few hours as well. I print previous evals or physicians orders for the PT to review and discuss the Resident's current ADL's etc. As a PTA, we can perform assistive techniques- goniometry, manual muscle testing. We do that every day, and you could make notes for her/him, but the PT must re-eval/recertify.
tlwilliams

Postby Regan » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:24 pm

tlwilliams,

Well stated. Thank you for your response from a PTA's view.
Regan
Resident PT Moderator

Return to Professional Issues